Thursday 23 April 2015

Summations for Period 3

This period was the most informative out of the three, as it the period that I live in, which means that I understand and relate with this period more than others. I did a number of groups and people, and also talked about the main changes and revolutions in the last 50 years. I researched things like post-modernism, the Digital Revolution, many famous artists and designers and a type foundry.

Post Modernism was the hardest of all, as I was not able to find a solid definition of what it actually meant, and was not clear in every example. After a while of researching I found a few examples that were the same theme and eventually understood what it was. I finished this part of the period knowing a lot more than when I began.

I didn’t even need a lot of research to explain what exactly the Digital Revolution was, as I knew a lot of it from memory. I found that the things I did need to research quite easily and without a lot of hassle. I also realized that the digital revolution had quite an impact on normal day-to-day life, as something as simple as reading a newspaper was drastically changed. From what used to be a piece of paper turning into looking at a screen was an amazing transition and was revolutionary.

I researched a number of people, such as Paula Scher, Chip Kidd, Neville Brody, David Carson and Ian Swifty. As I had done for the rest of the periods, I researched their early life and examples of their work. I also researched a type foundry, Designers Republic, and talked about what work they had done and what messages it had.


I enjoyed the last period more than the rest, as it was much more recent and in a time where everything was documented, which meant there was no lack of information or examples of work. I learnt a lot about the different types of work that each artist had done and also discovered artists I had never heard about. Overall, this was the most enjoyable time period I looked at.