Thursday 23 April 2015

Summation for Period 2

This group of research was much more centered on specific art movements and was around a period of 100 years. I researched things like Bauhaus, Constructivism, Dadaism, and Swiss Graphic design. Within these I learnt and talked about certain leading figures in a movement. This led me to understand what these movements were about and where and how they originated.

I first began research into art movements with Swiss graphic design, and looked at the work of Josef Muller Brockman, Herbert Matter and Jan Tschichold. Their work was based more around simplicity and readability, and added shapes as elements in their work. I think their use of colour as quite influential too; they often used contrasting colours which were very effective and made their work much easier to read, which led to a rise in popularity of Swiss graphic design. They used bright and vivid colours to catch your eye and would stand out anywhere, which also gave them more popularity. It was certainly very interesting to learn about who they were and what they did.

I also looked a bit into Constructivism and researched El Lissitzky. I liked his work and how he used many random shapes in his designs to create great pieces of work. His work was quite complex and I liked how the 3D work of his inspired many designers in the 20th century. The work he did was not seen by many people at that time, and was seen as very innovative and new. His work was very eye-catching and stood out from the crowd.

The Bauhaus movement was a very interesting movement and was one of the 20th centuries shaping movements. There were many different designs of the Bauhaus movement, and each of them was as inspiring as the next.
                                                                                                                  
Dadaism was the easiest I found to research, as it was much more my style of work. Even though there were paintings in my research, I really liked the shapes they created and is a very early example of low poly style. I researched artists named Max Ernst, Marcel Duchamp and Francis Picabia. This was my favourite movement from all the groups of Period 2 as most of the creations were shapes incorporated into designs and painting that looked very modern, yet they were created ages ago.


I found this period easier than the last, mainly because it was more recent and was only in the past 100 years, rather than Period 1, which was hundreds of years ago and did not relate well with me.